Yield: Serves 6
Cooking Time: 1 hour for back rib or 2 hours for side ribs
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- 3 lb (1.5 kg) Ontario side or back pork ribs
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Dried thyme leaves
- 1 to 2 cups (250 mL – 500 mL) Your favourite BBQ sauce
- Back ribs: Preheat oven to 325ºF (160ºC). Remove tough membrane on non-meaty side by easing away a corner with a small knife, then tear the membrane away from the ribs. Side ribs: Trim away most visible fat.
- In a small bowl, mix together black pepper, red pepper flakes and thyme. Sprinkle over ribs and place on a baking sheet(s); meaty side up. Add hot water to baking sheets to give about 1/4-inch depth. Cover baking sheet(s) with foil and place in oven. Bake at 325°F (160°C) until meat begins to recede from the rib tips – about one hour for back ribs, two hours for side ribs.
Remove ribs from oven and discard liquid from tray. Follow further instructions to brown ribs in oven or on grill; or, ribs can be cooled, covered and refrigerated, for up to 3 days.
- Oven: Increase oven to 450°F (230°C). Brush BBQ sauce on one side of ribs, cook for about 5 minutes, or until sauce is bubbly and golden-brown. Turn ribs over and brush on remaining BBQ sauce. Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Grill: Put grill on high for 10 minutes then turn down to medium. Place ribs on a medium-low heat and grill for 15 minutes, brushing with BBQ sauce, turning occasionally.
Per 1 person serving
Fat: 53.2 g
Saturated: 17.1 g
Monounsaturated: 19.4 g
Polyunsaturated: 9 g
Cholesterol: 181.4 mg
Sodium: 764.4 mg
Carbohydrate: 17.3 g
Fibre: 0.4 g
Protein: 35.2 g